Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Organization (and Chili Cornbread Casserole)

It’s something that I struggle with, but strive for.  Our linen closet has always just been a jumbled mess, except for the occasional (and I DO mean OCCASIONAL) day or two after I decide to empty it out and try to match up sheet sets, etc.  It has always been Ron’s job to make up the extra beds when we have overnight guests, and recently, I could just tell he was so frustrated with trying to find the right sized fitted sheets that somewhat matched a right sized flat sheet. 

I’ve tried, in the past, to match up a set, and put it inside of a pillow case, so that all we would have to do is pull a pillowcase out, and we’d have a full, mostly matched set.  But when I did that, there were 2 problems.  1) you couldn’t see inside the pillowcase to tell whether the sheet set inside was a twin, double or queen sized set, and 2), they just didn’t lay flat in the closet. 

I saw a nicely organized linen closet on Pinterest a few weeks ago.  It used a basket for each size and type of sheet.  Amazingly, when I was at Bed, Bath and Beyond last week, they had canvas totes on clearance.  I had to buy some.  And this is the end result.  (It’s not perfect…I didn’t measure right, and thought the totes would fit in my closet better than they did.  I made it work, but it did take a total gutting of the closet.  That’s ok…it needed it.)

029Jan29

I made a yummy chili cornbread casserole for supper last week.  It was my version of a Pampered Chef recipe, and was brought to my attention by my PW friend Sonia.  Now, I have to admit what I did.  I didn’t have the PC chipotle seasoning, so I just used some fajita seasoning that I had.  But while it was simmering, I thought I’d try to kick it up a bit, by adding a couple of shakes of my homemade crushed habanero pepper flakes.  Only…the jar didn’t have a shaker lid, and I dumped a BUNCH in there.  We like things spicy, but wow…this was more than “knock your socks off” hot.  We liked it a LOT, and we all had seconds even.  But it did almost make us cry.  And we went through a lot of Kleenex.

Here’s how to make my version of

Chili Cornbread Bake

  • 1 small to medium onion, chopped
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 can chili beans in sauce, don’t drain
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 packet (or 2-3 T.)  taco seasoning, chili seasoning, fajita seasoning…anything you want to use to suit your tastes and what you have on hand.

Fry up the ground beef with onion (you can also add green pepper if you wish) til browned.  Add beans, salsa and seasoning mix and simmer for 5 minutes or so.  Pour into a greased 9x9 pan.

Make your favorite corn bread.  (Use a mix like Jiffy, or, as I prefer, make your favorite homemade cornbread recipe.  Here’s what I used (I LOVE this cornbread!)

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2-4 T. sugar
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil or melted shortening

In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the , cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside. 

In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk and cooking oil/shortening.  Add egg mixture all at once, and stir til moistened.  (To make cornbread, pour batter into reased 9 x 9 inch pan and bake at 425* for 20-25 minutes or til a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean)

To finish the chili cornbread bake, just pour the cornbread mixture over the top of the chili.  Bake at 425, for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread is lightly golden brown.  Sprinkle with cheese and cover for a few minutes til the cheese is melted.  Garnish with optional chopped scallions, tomatoes, and sour cream (especially if you made it as HOT as I did!)

Ohhhh, this is yummy!

030Jan30

No comments: