I stopped buying taco seasoning a year or so ago. I used to buy a LOT of taco seasoning, because I use it in so many different ways. I was buying it in bulk at Sam’s Club, and then when I’d run out, I would buy those little packets. I found this recipe, and wow! It’s GREAT! I usually multiply it by 10 and store it in an old (BIG) container that had taco seasoning in it from Sam’s Club.
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can tweak it to your tastes. You can add more or less pepper flakes, or substitute a little cayenne pepper. You can use more or less of any of the ingredients to make it the way your family likes it. We like it just as it is…or maybe a BIT hotter, and I often reduce the salt by a bit.
I generally use close to 3 tablespoons / pound of meat. Try it. You’ll never go back to store bought packets again.
Homemade Taco Seasoning (x 5 in 1st parenthesis) (x 10 in second parenthesis)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (5 T) (10 T)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (1 1/4 t.) (2 1/2 t.)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (1 1/4 t.) (2 1/2 t.)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (1 1/4 t) (2 1/2 t.)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (1 1/4 t.) (2 1/2 t.)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (2 1/2 t.) (5 t.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (7 1/2 t.) (5 T)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (5 t.) (10 t.)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (5 t.) (10 t.)
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Use approximately 3 tablespoons in place of 1 taco seasoning packet.