Search This Blog

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Apples, Apples, Apples

OK, earlier this month (or was that last month?)  my friend Mary gave me a boatload of corn, and also some pears.  This week, my friend Denise gave me MORE than a boatload of apples!  I had a HUGE garbage bag, a 5 gallon bucket AND 3 walmart type bags of apples!  And they are beautiful and tart.  MMM....some are in the fridge for snacking on.  I am thanking God that I own a Pampered Chef apple/peeler/corer/slicer thingy.  I started at about 1 and finished at 7:30 tonight. 

I made 2 apple pies (one two crust, and one with a crumb topping). 

I made 7 quarts of cinnamon applesauce.   I filled my tupperware microwave bowl to the brim with apples.  Sprinkled on a few tablespoons of sugar, and microwaved them for 6-8 minutes.  Then, Rachel threw in a few handfuls of cinnamon red hots.  We cooked it for a few more minutes and then stirred like crazy to get it fairly smooth.  It is SUCH a pretty, pink color, and tastes GREAT!  We did this either 3 or 4 times.

I also have my 6 quart crock pot full to the very top with the ingredients for crock pot apple butter.  My family LOVES apple butter!  Here's the recipe.  I will freeze it rather than can it, though.

Crock Pot Apple Butter

Ingredients:
  • 5-1/2 pounds apples, peeled and finely chopped
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions:

Place apples in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt; pour over apples and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking). Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. If desired, stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cover and refrigerate or freeze. 

And, I also used 24 cups of apple slices to make freezer apple pie filling.  It tastes GREAT, and will be a great item to have in the freezer.  I have 6 bags of the filling.  Here's the recipe for that.

Freezer Apple Pie Filling

  • 18 cups thinly sliced apples (up to 24 cups)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 4 1/2 cups white sugar  (1/2 brown sugar 1/2 white)
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 6-8 cups water

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. Pour water into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  2. Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
  3. Ladle into 5 freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 1/2 hours.
  4. Seal and freeze. Can be stored for up to 12 months.

Signature 8

No comments: