Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Corn, Corn, Corn….

We have great friends.  They plant sweet corn, and then say “come and get it!”  So Ron and I did.  Today at about 1 or so we headed out to the farm and picked for 15-20 minutes.  Then, we took our chairs out and put them under the tree and started shucking.  While being stared at by beef cows.  8 of them.  They just kept staring!  As we’d shuck, we’d toss the husks over the fence.  They’d gobble them up and stare some more.  Those 8 cows got 165 corn husks today.  And they ate them ALL.  And then, when Steve came out to feed them, they ate their dinner!  Wish I’d have had my camera…I’d have taken a great pic of the 8 of them in a straight line…just staring at us…waiting til we tossed another husk at them!

So, we had 15 ears for supper tonight, with about a dozen or so left for another meal.  I have 15 bags of this recipe in the freezer.

  • 1 quart water
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. sugar

Cut the corn (RAW!) off the cob.  (That’s why I like this recipe so well…NO cooking/blanching) Put the desired amount into a freezer bag/container (I usually aim for 2-3 cups).  Pour enough of the water mixture to ALMOST cover.  Then, squeeze the air out as you zip it up. 

Freeze.

Now…I’m a HUGE fan of that recipe because the corn is absolutely DELICIOUS, and you don’t have to blanch the corn at all.  It is frozen raw.  I’ve been freezing corn this way for 8-10 years and we really, REALLY like it.

BUT…today I tried a new recipe.  And it might be my new favorite.  I’ll still do the easy/no cook kind, but…I’ll have to always make this.  The online recipe that is similar is called “Spectacular Sweet Corn” and I have to agree…it’s spectacular all right.

  • 12-15 c. corn, cut off the cob
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 pint half and half

Mix the 3 ingredients.  Bake in a 350 oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15-20 minutes.  Taste test to be sure the corn is done.  Cool and then freeze in freezer bags/containers in the amount desired.

DELICIOUS!

Thanks, Steve and Jean for the corn…and especially, Jean, for sharing the recipe.  It is OH, so good!

No comments: